Sidewalk GrantJanuary 17, 2020
Did you know?
Wendell residents and business owners are responsible for the upkeep of sidewalks outside of their establishments and residence. If injury occurs on their sidewalks the homeowner is liable for all damages and costs.
The City of Wendell is aware that this can get costly for homeowners and businesses, so we have put together a sidewalk ‘grant’ fund to help!
What does this mean?
If the sidewalk outside of your house or business needs replaced the city can help. We are offering incentives to help with the cost of sidewalk repairs so it is not so costly for the home or business owner.
What are the incentives?
Residents who repair or replace sidewalks can get up to 75 percent match of the lowest bid or invoiced amounts.
Businesses who repair or replace sidewalks can get up to 50 percent match of the lowest bid or invoiced amounts.
What is our objective?
The City of Wendell wants to give everyone the opportunity to have nice sidewalks to walk on and to reduce the probability of injury to our citizens. With our help it will be more feasible for home and business owners to repair and replace sidewalks.
What do I need to do to take advantage of these incentives?
- Get at least two bids for replacing/repairing your sidewalk.
- Complete and return the grant application available at city hall.
- After applications are submitted and prior to the start of work, the City will inspect the proposed project to verify grant eligibility. Upon field verification, the Sidewalk Repair Grant Application will be approved, subject to available funds, and the property owner will be notified to proceed. The work must then begin within 30 days and completed within 90 days. If the work is expected to take longer than 90 days, applicant may request an extension. The City will not reimburse expired applications.
- Work begins, Property owner selects contractor, obtains permits, calls for inspections and completes work.
- City approves reimbursement request and mails check to property owner.
When can I apply?
Our sidewalk grant program is up and running, so stop at City Hall for an application today!